Sunday 14 September 2014

Faces of BFY - Sze Yuan

Registration for the camp is now OPEN! So what are you waiting for? Sign up at http://bit.ly/pushingboundaries_4 NOW! :D

"I seem to be meeting many visually-impaired people at bus stops or on buses recently. Today, I met this middle-aged man in the morning again as I was waiting for my bus to an 8am lecture. It is the 3rd Monday I’ve met him in a row, it seems that our routines just happen to coincide at that time.

During the first Monday, I made conversation with him and offered to tell him when his bus came. However that meant missing my bus and I was late for lecture. Hence during our subsequent meetings I just took it upon me to attach him to someone at the bus stop taking the same bus so that it was a win-win situation.

Last Saturday while making my way to BF for the Lantern festival, I came across another visually-impaired commuter, this time on the bus. I approached him offering my assistance, but he surprised me by politely saying he was fine without help.

I found out that he normally pays attention to a certain hump on the road, which would tell him that his stop is coming up next. For other destinations, he will feel for other things, like a particular right turn and so on. I was really impressed by the level of mindfulness on display, and was touched by their immense will to be independent and to live life well. :)

This touched my heart most today. I was sitting at a bench in NUS doing my work when I saw a middle-aged man mopping the floor. In a moment of carelessness, he kicked over his pail of water by accident and had to clean it up.

The scene was juxtaposed against the whole university scene, which is one of youthful exuberance and life. The sharp contradiction jolted me into realizing there are unsung heroes who support our way of life. I find their efforts very heartening and inspiring.

Kindness to me is not harming any sentient beings, wanting only to bring happiness to them – both in thoughts and actions.

I used to have many opinions about our society.

At certain times, I would think that Singaporeans are really inconsiderate (not picking up litter), impatient (on public transport), and rude (to waiters etc.) amongst other things. Though I don’t air them out, I would just satisfy myself by thinking about all the things our society could improve in.

Other times however, I would hold the opinion that things aren’t that bad, that I see people giving up seats, waiting for their turn to board the bus and all.

After many cycles of the above, it just dawned on me that things are just the way they are, it’s the lens I choose to wear that affects my perception – which isn’t the truth.

I think that when we look outwards and think about how things “should be”, it is no longer Dhamma. Realizing such, I drop the whole endeavour of trying to judge society. Instead, I strive to be the Singaporean I hope to see in society. Not to say that I am doing this perfectly, but it’s a direction I constantly walk towards." :)
- Sze Yuan

No comments:

Post a Comment